A roundup of events in Aug 2018 for bootstrappers in Silicon Valley. Includes a preview of coming attractions and slides or handouts from July events.
Roundup of Events in Aug 2018 for Bootstrappers in Silicon Valley
The secret of every amazingly productive individual or team is the endless pile of work they decide not to do.
Steve Purcell (@sanityinc)
Posteriorities–deciding what not to do–are as important as priorities; especially when it comes to organized abandonment: the decision to stop doing things that are not longer working instead of continuing due to force of habit and organizational inertia.
Bootstrapper Breakfasts Events in August 2018
Note: We are trying something new this summer, an afternoon coffee break for Bootstrappers in Palo Alto in addition to our three breakfast meetings a month.
- Fri-Aug-3 7:30am Bootstrapper Breakfast at Hobees in Palo Alto
- Wed-Aug-15 3:30pm New Bootstrappers Coffee Break at Corner Bakery in Palo Alto
- Tue-Aug-21 7:30am Bootstrapper Breakfast at Specialty’s in Sunnyvale
- Fri-Aug-31 9am Bootstrapper Breakfast at Red Rock in Mountain View
- Remember “Bootstrapper Breakfasts are a Blind Date with Destiny”
Other Events for Bootstrappers in August 2018
Mon-Aug-13 11:30am at Le Quy in Campbell: Lessons Learned from Consulting Gigs on LinkedIn Profinder & Upwork
- Wondering if you should list your services on online resources like LinkedIn Profinder and Upwork? Three consultants share their experiences with finding leads for their consulting practices.
- Paul Scott – a technical writer for over 20 years, he has had a consulting practice for three years. He targets mainly tech and biotech companies, where he uses his scientific training and technology experience to develop effective technical documentation.
- Ellen Grace Henson – consultant for business & product strategy including product management and cross-functional team development.
- Theresa Shafer – customer development consultant for high technology startups focusing on early customer and early revenue.
Tue-Aug-28 7-9pm “Will Work For Equity” Structured Networking Event
- Location: Sacred Space Coworking 2490 Middlefield Road, Palo Alto
- No Charge; Register at https://www.meetup.com/lean-culture/events/253562280/
- Bonus: No cost co-working for event attendees at Sacred Space from Noon to 7pm before the event.
In case you missed it
- Lean Canvas Exercises Handout from July 2018 Bootstrapper Breakfasts
- Slides from “Problem Exploration for Lean Startups: How Entrepreneurs Can Think Like a Researcher to Improve their Effectiveness” by Mary Sorber at Lean Culture Tue-Jul-31See also related blog post “Problem Exploration for Lean Startups” by Gaby Joseph
Profiles of Bootstrappers
We continue to profile bootstrapping entrepreneurs for the Bootstrappers Breakfast Blog, Contact Theresa Shafer firstname.lastname@example.org Here are two recent profiles
- Interview with Kitae Kwon, serial entrepreneur: Startups are like riding a tiger
- Founder Story: Scott Swaaley
Preview of Coming Attractions
- Bootstrapper Breakfast Theme for September 2018: Growth Insights from Derek Siver’s “Anything You Want”
We will use insights from Derek Siver‘s “Anything You Want” [on-line at no charge] to do a short planning exercise on a 3×5 card.
- Great Demo Workshop Oct 11-12 in Milpitas
We are fortunate to have CJ Lipe of Adminologist.com as our coordinator for South Bay Bootstrapper Breakfasts, she provides contract administrative support for startups and executives, she can be reached at 510-410-5285
Photo Credit Emmi Land “This is not going to end well.”